For this exercise I took a day trip out to Newlands Corner in the Surrey Hills just outside Guildford.
The brief was to obtain an image of an object with a clear background, however, as I walked around I saw a lady sitting on a bench enjoying the view. I wondered what she was thinking about as she looked over the hills.
Although the background to her image would not be totally clear I thought that it might be interesting.
I took a number of images as follows:-
The first one is just a point and shoot and shoot,with the bench in the centre of the frame
After this image I took a series of images with the bench in a different position in the frame. I have included image one again in the series.
None of the images had any post production work in Photoshop, they are as I shot them.
Once I got home I looked at them on my computer, which images worked and which did not.
Firstly I asked myself what was the subject doing, was she just there resting, deep in thought or enjoying the view. Of course her visit may be for a combination of all three.
I thought that she may be enjoying the view and if this was the case it would be nice for the image to show not just her but what she was looking at. In view of this I looked at the images again to see which one not only gave us a view of the lady resting but also what she may have been looking at.
The image which I think demonstrates this is number 3, it helps that her head is slightly tilted to the left, looking out at the view towards the valley and the other walkers. The subject is also larger and sits on a third which is , in my view , better than image 6.
The rest of the images I placed in the following order
- Second – Image 1. Although this was the first Image taken I like the look of it, it may not be technically perfect ie. the subject right in the centre of the frame, but it works for me. Others may have a different view.
- Third – Image 4. A good image but too much foreground.
- Fourth – Image 2. A little to close to the left of the frame for me. It would be better if the lady was looking to the right.
- Fifth – Image 6. I think the subject in this image is too small, of course the image could be cropped but this would remove the view that the lady is looking at.
- Sixth – Image 5. The subject, in my view, is too far over to the left, maybe after a bit of work in Photoshop it could be improved.
After completing the review I decided to have a look at Image 3 to see what it may look like if I did some simple alterations. I will publish the results later.