The aim of this exercise was to devise a workflow for a particular shooting assignment.
For this exercise I went along to a golf course in Sussex where a golfer needed images to show his coach. We were not limited to a set time and during the day I would be able
to show the golfer the images.
He said that he would know himself if the golf swing that he had completed was good or if it had displayed a problem that the coach would like to see.
This fact made the day slightly easier. I decided that I would also take a small video of the golfer which would aid the coach later. I was luck in the fact that my camera does both.
As for the previous exercise I followed that the same routine in checking kit and computers. In addition there was the need to have wet weather clothing as we were going to be outside.
Here is the work flow diagram that I produced prior to going to the assignment.
You can see that the golfer wanted particular results to show his coach.
Problems that we could encounter on the course were as follows.
- Weather, especially rain.
- Low flying golf balls!
- Other golfers.
- Damage to equipment.
- The golfer producing the perfect shots so the problems that he had been having not coming to light.
The shots were take from as many view points as I could. We chose the images together as he had a far greater experience of golf that I did.
Later we picked the following shots which were identified as highlighting a particular stance.
These images would show the golfers leg stance, the follow through of the club and body movement.
Both closeup and distance shots were used. Shots were identified that showed the golfer from the front and the back.
At the end of the day we also chose three shots that the golfer could use for personal reasons.
Following on from the first exercise the workflow chart was easier to design. Printing it off and having it to hand would help on a busy shoot.
For me the secret is having a plan that is flexible enough to allow for the work to continue if problems arise.
I did underestimate the problems of sand and this resulted in hours of cleaning afterwards. The direction of the wind played a big part in this, a plastic camera cover would have helped.
I also identified that smaller memory cards are better.Faster downloading meant that as the golfer was resting I could have downloaded a section of images and had them ready in a file without delaying the next session.
I also realised that having an assistant would help in certain circumstances, for downloading the images but this may be wishful thinking on my part.
This was a relatively short but enjoyable set of exercise that I have learnt a lot from.